Every evening I like to use a wipe to remove any makeup from my face. I’ve tried to give up the disposable wipe habit (hate throwing that trash away each night) but then I am just bad about cleaning my face before bed! So I compromised and came up with my own DIY cleansing wipes. They remove makeup, don’t dry out my skin or irritate my eyes, smell great and are very natural/safe.
You will need:
3 tbsp of oils (I used a mix of coconut and jojoba)
1 tbsp body wash or face wash (I used Nature’s Gate body wash which doesn’t irritate my eyes)
Up to 2 cups water (depends on the size of paper towel roll you buy)
1 roll of paper towels, cut in half (preferably unbleached like these)
1 container that will fit one half of the paper towel (it’s okay for it to be snug and for the paper towel to be a bit taller than the container)
- Measure out your liquids into your container and mix them up. I’d recommend starting with 1.5 cups water. You can always add more later.
- Place half of your paper towel in the container. It’s okay if it doesn’t fit perfectly. My container was a bit big but it still worked.
- Gently press down on your paper towel until it is level with the containerand you can fit a lid on it.
- Place the lid on the container.
- Flip the container upside down and leave it for 10min. This will allow the entire roll to become saturated.
- Flip it back over, take off the lid, and remove the paper roll in the middle. It should remove easily. If any of your paper towel is still dry, add a bit more water and repeat the previous step.
- Pull the paper out from the center. This will make it easy to grab quickly when you want to use it! You can transfer this to a different container now or leave it as is.
- All done!
This really does remove makeup well.
When I use this at night I use a couple squares and wipe my face all over. I do find it is fine to remove my eye makeup as well I am just careful to not get it IN my eyes. Then I simply use a towel to pat my face dry and continue on with my night routine. I find the oils leave my skin feeling moisturized and soft.
I also keep a smaller travel sized pack of these in my gym bag to do a quick wipe down post workout! Removing sweat right away helps prevent related breakouts.
If you don’t like the paper towel idea, you can use these linen or hemp cleansing cloths, combined with your favorite cleanser – they work really well too, and they are washable!
By Sophie Strout, Holistic Wellness Coach
I would love to know what your routine for cleaning your face is – leave a comment!
You may also enjoy these articles: