While the spa may be a great indulgence, it isn’t a necessary step to achieving beautiful skin. There are many natural options for you in your very own home!
- Dry brushing. Dry brushing is where you take a natural coarse brush and use it on your body to remove dead skin, strengthen the immune system and increase circulation etc. It is also supposed to help remove/prevent cellulite. You can read more about it here. Some results can be seen very quickly where as others take a while. I have been doing this for over a year now and have seen results. The hardest part is just getting into the habit of doing it regularly!
- DIY lip scrubs. Lip scrubs are quite easy to make yourself. I keep mine in the fridge; it’s a mixture of sugar, lemon juice and coconut oil. Here’s another recipe option.
- Use strawberries and a little baking soda as a natural teeth whitener! Seen here.
- Use your blender to whip up a great face mask. Try lotion, yogurt, honey, aloe vera gel and avocado. use a foundation brush or your fingers to apply it to your face. Let it dry for up to 20min and then wash it off. Or keep it simple and combine just 1/2 peach and 1/2 cucumber.
- Keep some coconut oil in your bathroom, not just your kitchen. This stuff works wonders. I use it as a night cream before bed, on my cuticles or any rough patches of skin, as a super moisturizing lip balm (also great before bed) and even as a deep conditioner for my hair!
- Make your own body scrub to use in the shower. Combine 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup raw oats and 1 cup olive oil. You can also use used coffee grounds! I use the coffee grounds in areas where cellulite is common because it can help it temporarily fade; great for mornings where you know you will be in a bikini later!
- Use oil on your face. I know this sounds scary to some people but give it a try! Extra Virgin olive oil works but I prefer Argan oil (or coconut oil). Just apply a very small amount to your face and neck before bed. It’s very moisturizing and no, it does not make your skin greasy/oily!
- Use fresh cut orange slices like a loofah. It removes dead skin and smells amazing! Plus our bodies can absorb vitamins through the skin (if you ever wondered why some moisturizing contain Vitamin C!).
- Treat your hands. Start by soaking them in warm milk for 5 minutes. Next, trip off any hang nails. Now gently push back your cuticles (do not cut them). When you file your nails, do so in one direction only. Finish off by slathering your hands in almond, avocado or light olive oil, making sure to rub it into your cuticles.
- Try these amazing natural recipes to help your hair colour last longer!
- Make your own mood mists using scented oils for a pick me up or to help relax.
- DIY bath teas! How relaxing does that sound?
- How about a body smoothie? Combine 1/3 cup blueberries, 1/3 cup blackberries, 1/3 cup cranberries, 1stp fresh oregano leaves, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 4 tbsp yogurt and 3 tbsp honey. Slather it on your body in the shower and let it sit for up to 10min before washing off. Lovely!
- Combining 1 ripe banana (peeled), 1 tbsp sunflower oil and 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice makes a great hair repair mask. Massage it into dry hair and then wash it out (with your shampoo) after 30min.
- Invest in a foam roller. These are similar to getting a deep tissue massage! It’s basically a cylinder/tube of foam which, using your own body weight, you roll along your muscles. It also helps boost recovery time post-workout.
Curious about the health benefits of going vegan? Read this article!