I’ve talked a lot on this blog about being more eco-friendly in your home but what about when you travel? Summer vacation is fast approaching and a lot of people will be taking trips. Here are some ways to travel while still being environmentally friendly.
- Try not to travel further than 150 miles. This will greatly help cut back on your carbon footprint and you’d be surprised how many great tourist attractions are probably near you!
- Check out websites like Environmentally Friendly Hotels to find eco-friendly lodging. These places are dedicated to conserving resources and reducing waste.
- If you are traveling far, know that planes emit the most carbon dioxide per traveler followed by cars, then trains and last, buses. If you do fly, try to book direct!
- Before you leave home, make sure to unplug appliances and computers. You can bring refillable water bottles as well as pack your own toiletries rather than buying/using new ones.
- Pass on souvenirs like tshirts that aren’t made locally and instead buy some locally produced jewelry or art. Digital photos or something from a company that supports environmental groups are always great ideas too.
- If you want to help undo any damage done while traveling, you can donate to Native Energy when you return home!