My Top 5 Tips for Decorating on a Budget
It’s hard to narrow it down to only 5, but here are some ideas to help you on your way to decorating your home without spending a lot of money:
- Have a plan. Before starting on any redecorating or new design project, make sure you have a plan. Decide on your colour scheme, furniture arrangement, and a theme or decorating style. If you find this difficult to do on your own, get help! Carry paint chips, fabric swatches, and measurements with you in a ziplock bag or notebook wherever you go – you never know when you may find the perfect bargain!
- Use what you already have! Instead of thinking that you need to go out and buy all new furniture and accessories, look around your house to see what pieces you already own that might work. Remember, your new look doesn’t have to be all one style – combining different syles makes a room much more interesting. A new coat of paint or new fabric can transform “old” pieces to fit your new décor.
- Barter. If a do-it-yourself project is more than you can handle, then bartering may be an option. I often trade my sewing skills for professional help in other areas. Look to friends and business acquaintances and see how you can help each other!
- Be creative in where you shop. Instead of just going to department stores, shop at garage sales, thrift stores, , discount stores (Home Outfitters is one of my faves), the classifieds and online at craiglist.com, and usednanaimo.com. There are also a growing number of online shops like etsy.com, which sell all hand-crafted items. These are a great source for unique, local items for your home.
- Patience. It definitely takes more time to decorate on a budget. Don’t expect your transformation to happen overnight. Looking for just the right pieces at the right price takes persistence and perseverance – but it is definitely worth it in the end!