Tencel is the registered trade name for Lyocell, which is a biodegradable fabric made from wood pulp cellulose. It started to grow in popularity in the late 1990s, and now you can find a variety of clothing made with the fabric.
There are many reasons why Tencel fabric/clothing is a great choice.
- It’s environmentally friendly since it is made from natural sources and is fully biodegradable.
- It’s a great choice for people with sensitive skin.
- It feels similar to Rayon and is soft, breathable and lightweight.
- Tencel clothing packs light and is easy to travel with. It retains its shape very well and doesn’t wrinkle easily.
- Tencel fabric is very absorbant so it holds dye well, resulting in vibrant colors.
- Clothing made from Tencel is generally machine washable. That said, it’s easy to drip dry as it dries quite quickly.